A double chin, also known as submental fat, is a common condition that occurs when a layer of fat forms below your chin. A double chin is often associated with weight gain, but you don’t have to be overweight to have one. Genetics or looser skin resulting from aging may also cause a double chin.
If you have a double chin and want to get rid of it, there are several things you can do.
Exercises that target a double chin
While there’s no scientific evidence that chin exercises work to get rid of your double chin, there’s anecdotal evidence.
Here are six exercises that may help strengthen and tone the muscles and skin in the area of your double chin. Unless otherwise indicated, repeat each exercise daily 10-15 times.
1. Straight jaw jut
- Tilt your head back and look toward the ceiling.
- Push your lower jaw forward to feel a stretch under the chin.
- Hold the jaw jut for a 10 count.
- Relax your jaw and return your head to a neutral position.
2. Ball exercise
- Place a 9- to10-inch ball under your chin.
- Press your chin down against the ball.
- Repeat 25 times daily.
3. Pucker up
- With your head tilted back, look at the ceiling.
- Pucker your lips as if you’re kissing the ceiling to stretch the area beneath your chin.
- Stop puckering and bring your head back to its normal position.
Please continue the article on next page