Herbs offer a wide plethora of healing properties, and their ability to positively affect hormones is one of them. Thyme, holy basil, clary cage, sandalwood, and myrtle are the five herbs which are of particular interest to hormonal health.
Some of the major hormones in the body include:
- Adrenal hormones: These are responsible for the production of cortisol, which contributes to metabolism and controls stress.
- Reproductive hormones: Progesterone and estrogen manage female fertility and menstrual cycle and balance vaginal pH, while testosterone manages bone mass, red blood cell production, and male fertility.
- Sleep hormones: Sleep hormones like melatonin affect the health when out of balance. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc to the entire body, making it more prone to burnout and sickness.
- Thyroid hormones: These are produced by the thyroid and are responsible for metabolism regulation.
5 Hormone Balancing Herbs
1. Thyme: Preventing Breast Cancer
A team of researchers studied the effects of different herb extract on breast cancer cells in an in vitro study. Thyme was shown to bind to progesterone, a sex hormone which plays role in pregnancy and menstrual cycle. It has been found that thyme is packed with phytoestrogens and phytoprogestins, which mimic the activity of anti-progesterone drugs and stop the growth of breast cancer cells.
Please continue the article on next page